Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes – 1 hour
Orange Vinaigrette Ingredients:
¼ c. balsamic vinegar
1 t. fresh orange zest
2 T. fresh orange juice
1 t. fresh lemon zest
1 T. fresh lemon juice
1 t fresh lime juice
1 T. fresh lime juice
¼ cup rice wine vinegar
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
1 T. honey
2 t. Dijon mustard
1 clove garlic, finely minced
Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
4 medium beets
3 T. extra virgin olive oil
2 large organic oranges, zested, sliced, and cut into wedges
½ small fennel bulb, cut into thin slices
2 c. baby Arugula lettuce
2 c. mixed salad greens
½ c. walnuts, chopped
Optional: 6 oz. goat cheese, softened and broken into small chunks
- Preheat oven to 400°F and combine the vinaigrette ingredients in a glass bowl and whisk together thoroughly to combine. Set aside until ready to use.
- Wash beets and pat dry. Place each beet onto a piece of aluminum foil and rub with olive oil. Sprinkle each beet generously with salt before wrapping in aluminum foil and placing on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Place the baking sheet into the pre-heated oven and roast the beets for 45 minutes – 1 hour, or until beets are tender.
- Remove from oven and set aside to cool slightly. Once the beets are cool enough to handle, peel them under cold running water and cut them into slices.
- Toss Arugula and mixed field greens together with a little vinaigrette in a large bowl. Arrange greens onto a serving platter or individual salad plates and top with roasted beets, orange slices, sliced fennel, walnuts, and goat cheese, if using.
- Garnish with wispy fennel fronds, if desired, and serve immediately with remaining salad dressing. Enjoy!